Re: The Geejay (was: Acceptable alembic glyph variants)

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 06:09:35 CST

    On Jan 4, 2008 5:28 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
    <asmodai@in-nomine.org> wrote:
    > And what if you want to make available such historical documents using an
    > electronic medium? The only option you have would be a scanned image (with all
    > its pros and cons) or an incomplete text due to certain glyphs being replaced
    > with non-equivalent ones.

    Unicode doesn't deal in glyphs; it deals in characters. As someone
    making such documents available, in cases like these, I have no
    problem replacing the character with an equivalent one, of which there
    are several choices. If you want to see the original typography, I've
    got the scans. If it's a set of characters, that's more complex, and
    if there's a bunch of documents printed using the characters, then it
    would be useful to have the original characters encoded, but for just
    one character in just one document, no. If you're picky about the
    original character, use a private use code point.

    You're asking to have a code point published, and fonts created that
    covers your character, for an extremely limited use. That's expensive
    and way out of proportion to the value of the character.