Re: chairless hamza

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2008 - 13:27:28 CST

    On 5-Jan-08, at 9:28 AM, arno wrote:

    > On all of this I agree.
    > If my proposal will be accepted there will be a period for
    > everybody to raise objections before it become binding.

    This is a wishful thinking don't you think?
    The whole rtl user community has not yet established a directionality
    standard, which is very basic and straight forward and very very
    necessary. What would be the odds of Uighur, Kurdish, Azari, Uzbek
    and other users actively participating in discussions of sub
    comities of Unicode Consortium about changing hamza behaviour?

    >> On the other hand, a proposal for a Qur'ân specific hamza will not
    >> affect the status quo and any language at all.
    >
    > Here I do not agree. Deliberately I do not call the proposed new
    > character 'Quranic Hamza' but 'Chairless Arabic Hamza'. We need NOT
    > TWO different chairless hamzas for Arabic, one for MSA and one for
    > Q24, we need only ONE with clear cut behaviour, it's just that MSA
    > does not use it between joining letters.

    I understand your point of view. It is not differentiating Arabic
    language, Arabic script and Koranic expression. I guess if you are
    not Arab, or even Arab, but Christian Arab for example, you can
    easily distance yourself with this point of view.

    Again, I have nothing against your proposal, but not much for it either.

    Behnam