Re: Character proposal: SUBSCRIPT TEN

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 11:41:33 CST

    On Jan 16, 2008 2:27 AM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > > It cannot be replaced by SUBSCRIPT ONE + SUBSCRIPT ZERO, because it
    > > has to occupy one character position for the sake of text aligned for
    > > a fixed-width font.
    >
    > Font constraints (subscripts, half-width/narrow) are generally perceived as
    > compatibility characters. In your case, the character would really represent
    > the standard digits, except that it would exhibit a size restriction for
    > specific monospace fonts in a grid layout.

    In addition, it is a semantically distinct character akin to 212F
    (script small e,
    natural exponent) but is no easier to decompose (<narrow> does not necessarily
    mean "in monospace font: halfwidth").

    > Those environments where you really need monospaced fonts are those needed
    > for editing very precise data, and where no layout feature is encodable, and
    > string length is restricted. For normal plain text documents, not
    > constrained in size they are not needed, and there's no problem even if you
    > edit them using monospaced fonts in some text editor, even if they are "too
    > much spaced".

    The environments in which it occurred were predominantly monospaced
    (mainframe computing) with restricted string length (punchcards, drum
    printers).

    > Can you find for example a paper form with input rulers where you would have
    > used the same position for writing the whole subscript?

    Sure. E.g. a Soviet or German equivalent of a punchcard coding form a
    la http://www.answers.com/topic/fortrancodingform-png-1 for coding in
    ALGOL-6
    or preparing numerical data (I have used a Soviet equivalent myself).

    > > Is there a chance for this character (or a way to request halfwidth
    > > subscript/superscript characters) to appear in Unicode?
    >
    > But yes, it could be encoded as such, I think, if justified for
    > compatibility with legacy standards (but at least the standard body that
    > created or supported this character in its legacy encoding should ask for
    > it...), but really it should not be used in any new documents (anyway if you
    > need subscripts, you'll need them for all characters, and all possible
    > numbers or expressions).

    What should an emulator of a computer that used GOST 10859 or ALCOR
    produce, then?

    > So may be, you should request this to the Russian and German representants
    > at ISO to see what is the status of this character in their encoding (or if
    > its encoding is already deprecated and no more a standard since long).

    It's the latter. Are you saying that only they would have the
    authority to request this character?

    Regards,

    Leo