Re: Latin J capital letter with caron

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2008 - 14:39:58 CST

    On 2008.01.16, 18:43, Adam Twardoch <list.adam@twardoch.com> quoted and
    wrote:

    >> For other tall letter shapes, caron is often rendered as a comma next
    >> to the ascender.
    <...>
    > That is only a Czech and Slovak local tradition, not a linguistically
    > universal one.

    And a local tradition which was originally a poor typesetter's hack (just
    like "E’" instead of "É" in French, Portuguese and others). The same, BTW,
    for the problem regarding cedilla/comma under "t" and "s" in Romanian and
    Turkish.

    It is ironical that what was once a hack grew to be the right thing to do
    and that current more flexible systems have to go great lengths to emulate
    the constrains of ancient technology…

    (And it's plain ugly, too!)

    --
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin                                            ____.