Re: Proposal to encode three combining diacritical marks for Low German dialect writing

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 13:58:30 CST

    Karl Pentzlin proposes,

    > You find the actual draft:
    > http://www.europatastatur.de/material/ThreeMarks-2008-01-16.pdf
    >
    > All comments are welcome and considered before I submit a final
    > version to the UTC.

    In the Three-Marks proposal, it is mentioned that the proposed COMBINING
    LONG VERTICAL LINE BELOW is distinct from U+0329 because the proposed
    character touches the base letter and U+0329 does not.

    U+0329 is annotated as being for the Yoruba language, among other things.

    In the Yoruba orthography, it is proper for U+0329 to touch the base letter.

    Fonts designed to support the classic Yoruba orthography will have U+0329
    depending from (and joined to) the base letter.

    a̩e̩i̩o̩u̩ s̩ U+0329 COMBINING VERTICAL LINE BELOW

    I suspect that a similar font-choice argument could be made against the
    proposed combining hook and the existing combining ogonek.

    Best regards,

    James Kass