RE: Proposal to encode three combining diacritical marks for Low German dialect writing

From: Benjamin M Scarborough (benjamin.scarborough@student.utdallas.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 02:17:10 CST

    Kent Karlsson wrote:
    > I don't see why there should be any problem in principle to encode
    > COMBINING PARENTHESISED DOUBLE RIGHT HOOK BELOW, COMBINING
    > PARENTHESISED DIAERESIS BELOW, COMBINING FAT TILDE, etc.

    If memory serves, extIPA uses U+207D SUPERSCRIPT LEFT PARENTHESIS,
    U+207E SUPERSCRIPT RIGHT PARENTHESIS, U+208D SUBSCRIPT LEFT
    PARENTHESIS, and U+208E SUBSCRIPT RIGHT PARENTHESIS for parenthesized
    diacritics. These would probably be preferable to separate
    parenthesized combining marks.

    *COMBINING FAT TILDE, on the other hand, does appear to be a viable
    character for encoding: in spite of being a bold tilde, it also has a
    well-defined use for strong nasalization and is distinct from COMBINING
    TILDE.

    —Benjamin Scarborough