Re: Questionable definition of Unicode

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2008 - 12:41:23 CST

    Strictly speaking, ISO 10646 was set up to be the ultimate of a
    series of character sets, incorporating within itself all of the
    characters of all previous sets (ISO 8859, etc.) and more, Unicode
    being a later construct whose first designers dubbed it a 'single
    encoding scheme' for 10646 and, since people in the business still
    talk in terms of character sets, without visible harm. I have no
    particular objection to being considered old-fashioned in that
    regard, but if you really think that leaves me open to being
    'misconstrued', as you put it below, I'd warmly welcome your advice
    as to which term you currently recommend instead of 'character set',
    Jukka.
    mg

    On 24 Jan 2008, at 17:52, scríobh Jukka K. Korpela:

    --
    Marion Gunn
    mgunn@ucd.ie