Re: Questionable definition of Unicode

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 03:37:03 CST

    On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 08:50:31PM -0800,
     Doug Ewell <dewell@roadrunner.com> wrote
     a message of 29 lines which said:

    > Per Jukka's advice, I will back off from my suggestion to add
    > "coded." "Character set" is fine.

    Or "character repertoire" if we want to avoid the confusion with the
    badly named "charset" of MIME/HTTP/etc.

    > Most choices would have been better for the IDN Glossary than
    > "encoding scheme," which has a specific meaning.

    And which is completely undecipherable for the ordinary user.

    ICANN told me they will change the definition to "character set".