Re: Factor implements 24-bit string type for Unicode support

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 23:42:54 CST

    If you read Slava Pestov's in-depth description of the string format:

    http://factor-language.blogspot.com/2008/01/some-things-ive-been-working-on.html

    you'll see it's quite a bit (pun not intended) more complicated than
    simply a 24-bit format.

    I suppose rather than second-guess the efficiency or wisdom of such a
    scheme, we ought to be glad the Factor guys at least have a plan to
    support all 17 planes. IMHO there are still far too many Unicode
    implementations that impose a severe performance or complexity penalty
    on the BMP, or don't support it at all.

    http://www.ewellic.org