Re: Problem in Line breaking

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 20:30:53 CST

    On 2/24/2008 1:22 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > There's no problem:

    Actually, the reported problem does arise in 5.0.0 and has been reported
    several times already and been addressed by the most recent UTC meeting,
    I hear.
    > 1) CL and AL classes are tailorable (no star "*" in table 1).
    > 2) CL prohibits line breaks BEFORE it, but allows them AFTER it in some conditions.

    At issue are the "some conditions".

    The rest of the post we can ignore because it rests on a false premise
    and most of it will not be applicable to 5.1.0.

    A./

    PS: I had suggested to the UTC a fix that would have retained the
    correct solution for person(s) and fait(e)s, while correcting the issue
    for Japanese text. However, I hear that has been rejected in favor of
    restoring what was there in 4.1.0. If true, that would mean that from
    5.1.0 you'll need tailoring to get those special usages of parens to
    work out, and can't just rely on the default.

    There are good reasons for taking such an approach as well, so this is
    not trying to criticize the UTC on that issue. It is the case that the
    problem reported for Japanese is likely to be triggered in a much higher
    percentage of Japanese texts than the percentage of texts that that will
    actually run into the "person(s)" issue.

    The best is now to wait for 5.1.0, which should be out soon, and then
    work on the basis of what that text actually says.