Re: [unicode] What is a Chinese font?

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 05:51:49 CST

    Quoting mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Here I attached 3 sample TTFs that I modified UnicodeRanges
    > and CodePageRanges by binary editor.
    >
    > vs17-ucr.ttf:
    > All bits in UnicodeRange in OS/2 are set, so all Unicode
    > characters are declared as available. CodePageRange
    > bits are left (original vs17.ttf declares Latin1 codepage).
    >
    > vs17-cpr.ttf:
    > All bits in CodePageRange in OS/2 are set, so all codepages
    > are declared as available. UnicodeRange bits are left
    > (original vs17.ttf declares CJK Symbols & Punctuations only).
    >
    > vs17-ucr+cpr.ttf:
    > All bits in UnicodeRange and CodePageRange in OS/2 are set.
    >
    > When I install in Microsoft Windows XP and check wordpad.exe,
    > vs17-ucr.ttf is shown as Latin1 font, but vs17-cpr, vs17-ucr+cpr
    > are shown as capable: Big5, GB2312, Arabic, Greek, Cyrillic,
    > Symbol, Thai, Turky, Baltic, Korean Wansung, Korean Johab,
    > Vietnamese, Hebrew, Latin1, Central European, and Japanese.
    > So I think CodePageRange may be important. Please try the fonts
    > in your environment.

    The results provisionally seem to be rather application depednent

    Some quick test results

    on Linux (debian)

    abiword - works with any font including my original

    on windows

    abiword - works with any font including my original
    word - works with either vs17-cpr.ttf or vs17-ucr+cpr.ttf
    wordpad - various partial results, eg displays vs17-cpr.ttf in
    pre-existant documents but won't select.

    Regards
    John

    > Regards,
    > mpsuzuki
    >

    >> My question then are, "How does windows decide whether a font is
    >> Chinese or not? What needs to be added to this font."
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> John Knightley

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net