Re: Problem in Line breaking

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 11:28:49 CST

    On 2/28/2008 5:21 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > Asmus Freytag wrote:
    >

    >> PS: whether or not "before, after" allows a break after the
    >> comma and the following space (2 characters) is beside the
    >> point for Japanese text, which customarily does NOT have spaces.
    >>

    > True, but you shouldbe more specific: Japanse text do not *encode* spaces,
    > because they are not needed with the glyph forms used by ideographic
    > punctuation signs that are larger than basic european punctuation.

    Japanese does not use spaces between words (or characters). The proper
    spacing around punctuation marks is subject to layout rules specified in
    Japanese Standard JIS X4051, for example, and does not necessarily
    correspond to the way simple plain text looks when using fixed-width fonts.

     From this, and similar statements in the remainder of the message I can
    see that this is a topic on which you are merely speculating, but
    lacking any actual knowledge of Japanese text layout, you appear to have
    nothing of value to contribute to the discussion. As usual, my
    recommendation for people interested in useful or authoritative
    information is to ignore this post.

    A./