Re: Arabic waslah

From: Maha Hassan (maha.hassan96@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 23:34:04 CST

    ----- Original Message ----
    From: David Weinberg <davidweinb@googlemail.com>
    To: Andreas Prilop <aprilop2008@trashmail.net>
    Cc: unicode@unicode.org; Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com>
    Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 11:07:30 AM
    Subject: Re: Arabic waslah

    Indeed ARABIC SIGN SALLALLAHOU ALAYHE WASSALLAM and WaSla are "small head of Sad above".
    I find it unfortunate that U+060E to U+0614 are defined by their function whereas U+06D6 to U+06E8 are defined by their shape.
    Can anyone explain the philosophy behind the different approaches?

    I agree, specially most of Koranic annotations (or Koranic stop signs) have Arabic names.
    Another thing related to the same code range:from U+06D6 to U+06DB are not annotations but they are called "Koranic stop signs".
    The following text are my translation of their functions
    U+06D6 : Stop sign optional prefered not to stop
    U+06D7: Stop sign optional prefered to stop
    U+06D8 : Stop sign mandatory
    U+06D9 : Stop sign prohibited
    U+06DA : Stop sign optional
    U+06DB : Stop sign alternate