Re: A currency sign for the Rubel?

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2008 - 04:21:20 CST

    Hello,

    Philippe Verdy schrieb:
    > The euro has also several
    > standard orthographies, justified by the change of script (Latin and Greek
    > were used initially, now the Cyrilic alphabet is needed, and notes already
    > display an orthography with the Cyrillic alphabet).

    Must be counterfeit ;-)

    All euro notes I have ever seen have the name of the currency
    in both Latin and Greek spelling. I have also checked
    <http://www.ecb.int/bc/euro/banknotes/html/>,
    <http://www.bundesbank.de/bargeld/bargeld_banknoten>,
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_banknotes>,
    <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurobanknoten>.

    I have read about plans to add the Bulgarian spelling “евро”,
    but as far as I know, they have not yet materialized.

    According to
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_issues_concerning_the_euro>,
    there are variant cyrillic spellings (used in other countries, not
    part of the EU), viz. “євро” and “еўра”.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz