Re: N3412: Last Resort Pictures

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 01:43:23 CST

    At 23:58 +0200 2008-04-01, Dominikus Scherkl wrote:
    >Michael Everson schrieb:
    >>Please see
    >>http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/n3412-last-resort.pdf
    >
    >Nice first of April post.

    Thank you.

    >But if this is a serious proposal,

    Certainly. Compare other "unlikely" proposals:

    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3066.pdf (2006-04-01)
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2935.pdf (2005-04-01)

    (All right, I have to admit these though:

    http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso10646/pdf/n258a-heartdot.pdf (2003-04-01)
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2326.pdf (2001-04-01))

    >there are some errors:
    >- The name of E02A8 should be "LR-10000-1FFFD PLANE-1 UNDEFINED",
    > not "LR-0000-FFFD PLANE-1 UNDEFINED"

    Thank you. Pasting error.

    >- No glyphs for "PLANE-3 UNDEFINED" to "PLANE-13 UNDEFINED"
    > and "PLANE-3 NOT A CHARACTER" to "PLANE-13 NOT A CHARACTER"
    > (ok, there are no chars assigned, but the more important
    > those glyphs would be!)

    I was unsure what to do with these. The are "assigned" however...

    I did think that I should change

    E02F5 LR-F0000-FFFFF SUPPLEMENTARY PRIVATE USE AREA-A
    E02F6 LR-FFFFE-FFFFF NONCHARACTERS

    E02F5 LR-F0000-FFFFD SUPPLEMENTARY PRIVATE USE AREA-A
    E02F6 LR-FFFFE-FFFFF NONCHARACTERS

    Correct?

    >- I still think the Glyph "A" for latin is a very bad choice,
    > as this very same glyph is also in cyrillic and greek used.
    > Why not some glyph that is unique to latin, and at the same
    > time represents the name of the script quite well, like the
    > "L" glyph?

    I can check to see whether there are other letters found in all of
    the Latin blocks, though lower-case "l" is not so distinctive. And
    there are "L"s borrowed into Cyrillic (not yet encoded).