Re: Encoding Stability: are exceptions possible?

From: =?utf-8?Q?António MARTINS-Tuválkin?= (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 04:29:16 CST

    On 2008.04.02, 15:45, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

    > We lack authoritative information about the change from one orthography
    > to another.

    Perhaps it is not a change of orthography, but something akin to the
    cedilla / comma below thing in Romanian. After all, when it was devised
    in 1918, the Romanian new diacritical was taken from French. Back then
    the glyph variations of it, in both French and Romanian use (as also in
    Portuguese and Catalan) were deemed meaningless.

    This case was dealt by Unicode in the known fashion, though yet another
    similar case, the Czech/Polish acute vs. the French/Spanish/etc. one,
    which is encoded as the same character but some see relevance in its
    glyph shape.

    --
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin                                            ____.
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt>                                          |  ()|