Re: "French+" support by Unicode

From: JFC Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 17:35:16 CDT

    At 11:09 08/04/2008, Hans Aberg wrote:
    >On 5 Apr 2008, at 19:00, JFC Morfin wrote:
    >>For a preparatory work at ISOC France on IETF Internationalized
    >>Domain Names though Applications I need to document all the code
    >>points corresponding to the support of the France's languages: (1)
    >>French (2) Litterary Arabic (3) Berber (4) the various "langues de
    >>France" (Breton, Provençal, Occitant, Basque, Normand, Picard,
    >>Lorrain, Alsacien, Corse, etc.). Also the differences between ISO
    >>10646 and Unicode 5.0, since ISO 10646 is bilingual.
    >>
    >>Would someone know if that information is published and where?
    >
    >This might be difficult for any single language, because for example
    >Swedish, although formally not using diacritical marks except for the
    >individual letters äåöÅÄÖ, borrowed words may use them, like in "idé".
    >
    >But if you can do it for individual languages, then the rest can be
    >done taking the union of languages in lists like in:
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_France#List_of_languages

    Dear Hans,
    Thank you for your inputs. My approach is not a linguist approach,
    but a multilinguist one. Meaning I am interested in the technical,
    political, economical, cultural support of the linguistic diversity.
    What we try to evaluate is the effective technical needs of languages
    to build a language multilingual data sheet that can be used to
    support multilingualisation and facilitation technologies. An
    application is for example the support of linguistic domain names.
    All the best.
    jfc