Re: Unicode normative value [was. Re: VS: "French+" support by Unicode]

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 05:07:40 CDT

    On 15/04/2008, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote:

    > Just for the record, there is only one JFC in France and all other
    > French people involved in internationalisation use Unicode and not ISO
    > 10646 (one of the big reasons being that Unicode is available while
    > 10646 "may not be photocopied or reproduced in any form" - from the
    > licencing text).

    I do not think it is true to say that ISO/IEC 10646 is less available
    to public users than the Unicode Standard.

    Both standards may be purchased, and both standards are also available
    for free on the internet:

    Unicode at <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0/>

    10646 at <http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html>

    The main difference between the free versions is that the Unicode PDF
    files have printing disallowed, whereas the 10646 PDF files do allow
    printing, and the ISO Licence Agreement
    <http://standards.iso.org/ittf/licence.html> explicitly states that
    "You may print out and retain one-only printed copy of the PDF file".
    Therefore, in my opinion, the ISO standard is actually more accessible
    than the Unicode Standard.

    Andrew