Re: Unicode normative value [was. Re: VS: "French+" support by Unicode]

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 08:28:46 CDT

    On 15/04/2008, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> wrote:

    > > Just for the record, ISO/IEC 10646 is freely available
    >
    > I never said it was not, I just referenced its ultra-restrictive
    > licence. Let me say it again:
    >
    > > "may not be photocopied or reproduced in any form"

    The first paragraph of the first page of all the PDF files for The
    Unicode Standard version 5.0 :

    "This file is part of the electronic edition of The Unicode Standard,
    Version 5.0, provided for online access, content searching, and
    accessibility. It may not be printed."

    The licence for the online version of ISO/IEC 10646 :

    "The document is a single-user, non-revisable Adobe Acrobat(R) PDF
    file. You are downloading a single-user licence to store this file on
    your personal computer. Under no circumstances may the electronic file
    you are licensing be copied, transferred, or placed on a network of
    any sort without the authorization of the copyright owner.

    You may print out and retain one-only printed copy of the PDF file."

    Clearly the ISO licence is less restrictive than the Unicode licence.

    Andrew