Re: Character found in national standard not defined in Unicode?

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 07:42:24 CDT

    André Szabolcs Szelp wrote:

    > I just came across this:
    > "In the table above, 21 is the eternity sign, which has no designated
    > codepoint in Unicode."

    I think a discussion in 2001 on this list addresses your concerns:
    http://unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/Archives-Old/UML025/1232.html

    To put if briefly, it seems to be an unused character (as a text
    character, that is) and nobody wants to add it to Unicode.

    > Is that true (if so: how come), or is the author of the wikipedia
    > article mistaken?

    Wikipedia articles don't need to have an author. What you see can be
    just the resultant of uncoordinated actions. Especially in tricky
    issues, like odd characters, wikipedia should be taken at face value
    only: as anonymous and unstable texts.

    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/