Re: Stability Policy Update

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 17:20:33 CDT

    > > I'm not seeing the useful clarification here. The conditions are
    > > trivially true for any uncased character if you want to test the
    > > edge condition and assume X = Y, since an uncased character casemaps
    > > to itself.
    >

    > If you allow X = Y to be valid for application of the rule, uncased in
    > version V then implies uncased in every version.

    O.k., I see your point. I think this comes down to an instance
    where the English expression of the principle was clear, but
    where turning it into a logical statement caused mischief because
    it does not rule out the X = Y case, even though most would consider
    that nonsensical for a "case pair".

    So the initial statement, "Two assigned characters form a case pair when..."
    is highly unlikely to be interpreted by any but the most perverse
    as applying to "two assigned characters that happen to actually
    be the *same* code point and which could then be considered to
    be a "case pair" only by lawyering it to death..."

    But in the logical expression, it probably makes sense to add
    the "where X != Y" restriction.

    --Ken