RE: Exemplifying apostrophes

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 03:44:52 CDT

    OK, but this is the first link provided. So the OHCR site is wrong (it is
    not even matching the original UN document which was bilingual in 1948).

    > > And another problem:
    > > - Also in articles 4, 18, 21.3, 22, 25.1, 26.1 there's a semi-colon
    > > missing a non-breaking space before it (NNBSP is possibly
    > preferable,
    > > but NBSP is widely used in most French sources, SPACE is always
    > > incorrect
    >
    > Please stop making authoritative-looking statements when they are not.

    Spacing before semicolons is *THE* MOST WIDELY used conventiçn in French.
    You'll see this recommanded everywhere. This is not invented or specific.
    There's certainly various encoding for this spacing, but I maintain that the
    absence of spacing is considered as an error by almost everyone, and that
    not making this spacing not breaking will create other problems.

    I maintain that the original UN document (in 1948) had this narrow non
    breaking space (just like it had the right single quotes and no vertical
    quotes, including in English).

    I don't want to be authoritiative, the authoritative statement comes from
    the original document.
    So STOP bashing people. You're just insulting.