Re: A font question

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 13:58:34 CDT

    On 5/29/2008 11:12 AM, Peter Zilahy Ingerman, PhD wrote:
    > Magda Danish was kind enough to suggest that perhaps this list could
    > answer a question.
    >
    > I am looking for a /single/ TTF font that includes all of the glyphs
    > in the UNICODE 5.0 (perhaps 5.1?) book.
    Such a font is a patent impossibility, because of the nature of TTF
    files - they are limited to less than 2/3 of the number of glyphs needed
    to cover Unicode 5.1.

    A single font covering all non-han characters would still be possible,
    in theory, but it would be full of compromises so as to not be very
    useful for running text. Also, for running text of any form, you need
    *more* glyphs than are in the code charts.

    > I have found the Doulos SIL font, but it appears to be missing, for
    > example, the Ethiopic characters, among several others.
    >
    > I am dealing with a rather peculiar application whose implementation
    > would be much simplified if such a single font were available.
    Better suggestions would require that you let people know a bit more
    about your peculiar application. Otherwise you'd possibly find many
    suggestions rather inapplicable.

    > Suggestions, pointers, references and the like will be most welcome!
    The program used to print the Unicode code charts is available at
    http://www.unicode.org/unibook. There's a bit of a description how it
    solves the font question in the description files.

    A./