Re: A font question

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 14:14:23 CDT

    Peter Zilahy Ingerman, PhD wrote:

    > I am looking for a /single/ TTF font that includes all of the glyphs in
    > the UNICODE 5.0 (perhaps 5.1?) book.

    That's not even possible, I'm afraid. SFNT format fonts such as TTFs
    have a fixed 64K glyph limit, so it is not possible to create a single
    TTF that encodes all of the characters in Unicode 5.0, let alone 5.1, in
    a meaningful way (it would be possible to provide entries for all the
    characters in the font cmap, but not to map them all to visually correct
    glyphs). Then consider that complex scripts typically require a greater
    number of glyphs for presentation than encoded characters.

    In addition, there are many technical and design problems that arise
    from trying to cram lots of different writing systems into the same font.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com