RE: Subj: Conversion method from Korea KSX to Korea Unicode

From: Phillips, Addison (addison@amazon.com)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 12:41:45 CDT

    Hi Andy,

    The short answer is "no". KS-X-1001 doesn't map in a linear or algorithmic way to the Unicode character set, so conversions between this pairing requires a mapping table. A good starting point to read about this is here:

      http://www.icu-project.org/userguide/conversion.html

    See, for example, this page of one of the relevant mapping tables used in ICU:

      http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/convexp?conv=windows-949-2000&b=85&s=ALL#layout

    Notice that, for example, the first two code points mapped go from AFBF to AFC1, skipping AFC0.

    Note that you probably should not write your own converter. Depending on your platform, you may find that there is built-in or library support for doing the conversion available to you that is both reliable and fairly small (on Unix, for example, using GNU's iconv or using ICU).

    Hope that helps,

    Addison

    Addison Phillips
    Globalization Architect -- Lab126