Re: how to add all latin (and greek) subscripts

From: Johannes Rössel (joey@muhkuhsaft.de)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 12:33:54 CDT

    Hello Ondrej,

    as far as I understood it, Unicode is not indented for capturing all
    semantic content of mathematical formulas. There are, however, diverse
    markup languages to represent that, ancient ones like TeX/LaTeX and more
    recent developments like MathML and the approach used in Microsoft's
    Word 2007 which uses a combined model of storing XML-ly stuff and
    entering TeX-like syntax by hand. Details on the latter may be found in
    Unicode TN #28 by Murray Sargent.

    The sub- and superscripts present in Unicode are spread through multiple
    code ranges and thus I assume they are partly there for compatibility
    reasons (¹, ², ³), since they were present in other charsets before,
    partly extensions to those compatibility forms (⁴, ⁵, ⁶, ...), partly
    necessary for IPA. For accurate display of formulas you need markup that
    captures the semantics and a layout engine that lays out math, Unicode
    alone won't help there.

    Regards,
    Johannes Rössel