Re: Welsh orthography in Unicode

From: Mark E. Shoulson (
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 13:20:36 CDT

    Andreas Prilop wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Leo Broukhis wrote:
    >> The above page contains, among other letter-apostrophe combinations,
    >> "'i" - thus proving that the writers know what they're doing.
    > Then they should have used U+2019 () instead of U+0027 (').
    That may well be true, but the same may be said of many articles on as well, for apostrophe-s and for English contractions
    (though it seems, at a cursory glance at least, that
    does not use ASCII apostrophes). The use or misuse of ASCII ' instead
    of U+2018, U+2019, U+02BC, U+02BE, U+05F3 for that matter, and a bunch
    of other ones besides, is well-known and well-documented. People like
    to use what's on the keyboard (see, I just did it myself). Same problem
    with ASCII ", which probably has no business being in *any* natural
    language text if we're being so picky.

    They knew what they were doing: they correctly used and correctly
    contracted it with an apostrophe.