Re: Welsh orthography in Unicode

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 09:58:18 CDT

    Andreas Prilop wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
    >

    >> The use or misuse of ASCII ' instead of U+2018, U+2019, U+02BC,
    >> U+02BE, U+05F3 for that matter, and a bunch of other ones besides,
    >> is well-known and well-documented.
    >>

    > Yes, okay - when we restrict ourselves to US-ASCII or perhaps
    > ISO-8859-1.
    >
    > But my original posting was about text that also contains such
    > exotic letters as "w with circumflex" and "y with circumflex".
    > With such letters, it makes no sense to use the ersatz U+0027
    > for U+2019.

    But it isn't like that. W and y with circumflex aren't "exotic letters"
    in Welsh, they're just what you use. And ' is what you get when you hit
    the appropriate key. In Hebrew writing, you use "exotic letters" like
    alef, bet, gimel, and the rest of the Hebrew alphabet... but 99.9% of
    Israelis are going to use ' and " instead of U+05F3 and U+05F4.

    ~mark