Re: Hebrew script: Are there any diacritical marks used from outside the Hebrew block?

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2008 - 15:48:39 CDT

    Karl Pentzlin wrote:

    > When using the Hebrew script, are there any diacritical marks used
    > from outside the Hebrew block U+0590-U+05FF, besides U+FB1E from the
    > Alphabetic Presentation Forms block and U+0307/U+0308 representing
    > numbers according to the printed Unicode 5.0 Standard p.286
    > (especially used in conjunction with cantillation marks or other
    > special applications)?

    We had a request from Brill to support U+030A (ring above) in SBL Hebrew
    for Dead Sea Scrolls transcription. Such transcription does not require
    interaction with either vocalisation or cantillation marks, but they
    didn't want to use the masora circle. Such transcription also makes use
    of strikeout to indicate erased or crossed-out text in the manuscripts;
    since rich text strikeout as provided by applications is unreliable for
    data exchange, I also implemented support for U+0336 (long stroke
    overlay). In the SBL Hebrew font, the length of the stroke is contextual
    relative to the width of the letter, producing a continuous line through
    adjacent letters.

    For more details see page 17 of the SBL Hebrew manual:
    http://www.sbl-site.org/Fonts/SBLHebrewUserManual1.5x.pdf

    John Hudson