Re: Capital Sharp S in the News

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 20:15:12 CDT

    > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM, David Starner <prosfilaes@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes. I wish I could offer you a link to the proposal,
    >
    > Wikipedia rules: http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/N3227.pdf

    That's the *later* proposal -- the one that succeeded in WG2
    and UTC.

    The *earlier* proposal from 2004 -- the one that didn't succeed --
    is:

    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/N2888.pdf

    That document gave copious evidence of the existence of the uppercase
    glyph -- nobody doubted that. But it didn't deal with the
    technical issues of how to handle the casing. And it
    conflated the typographical issues and the encoding issues
    in a way that didn't convince the UTC that a character encoding
    was warranted. The conclusion of the document was:

    "The proposed Latin Capital letter Double S ... should become
    encoded to enable a hitherto unsolved bug in German typography
    become fixed. ..."

    Well, encoding characters isn't generally about resolving bugs
    in German (or any other) typography -- those are font issues.

    It took better argumentation in the later proposal to convince
    the character encoding committees that this character deserved
    encoding *despite* the resultant confusion in German
    implementation about casing relations that were sure to follow.

    --Ken