Re: Capital Sharp S in the News

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 05:38:56 CDT

    Hello Michael S. Kaplan,

    you have written:
    > This is my opinion is that Microsoft should make them a case pair in the
    > next version of Windows.

    It is my firm opinion that Microsoft should comply with the official
    spelling rules of any language (if there are official rules, at all).
    This is simply a matter of software quality and user expectation.
    (Indeed, many users simply trust those red wavy underlines from
    MS Word, rather than consulting a dictionary, or the official rules.)

    As long as we will not have yet another spelling reform (and most
    Germans are tired of 10 years of ongoing reforms, re-reforms, and
    re-re-reforms between 1996 and 2006, I can assure you), Microsoft
    software, when applied to German text, should just comply with
    <http://www.ids-mannheim.de/reform/regeln2006.pdf> and
    <http://www.ids-mannheim.de/reform/woerterverzeichnis2006.pdf>.
    (As said before, this particular issue is covered in §25 E3 of
    the former reference.)

    By the way, as a native German reader, I assure you that all
    designs for the upper-case Eszet *are not* convincing. Yesterday,
    browsing through Mr. Staetzer’s examples, in one case, cf.
    <http://www.signographie.de/cms/upload/img/MAKELLOSES_WEI_.JPG>,
    I asked myself: “Where is an Eszet, at all?” -- until I noticed
    that I had mis-read as “Makelloses Weib” (flawless wife) a catch-
    line meant as “Makelloses Weiß” (flawless white).

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz