Re: Getting A Newb Started

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 22:05:06 CDT

    William J Poser <wjposer at ldc dot upenn dot edu> wrote:

    > I don't write for MS Windows so I don't worry too much about the fact
    > that wchar_t is only two bytes (is this true on Vista, by the way?)

    This is almost always a programming language or library issue, not an
    operating system issue. If I crank up my trusty old Borland C++ 3.1
    compiler, int will still be 16 bits, even on Windows XP.

    Ken's advice on wchar_t is sound: Just Say No. Define a type whose size
    you know, and use that.

    --
    Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
    http://www.ewellic.org