Re: Looking for code ranges on specific languages.

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 17:19:20 CDT

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Jonathan Woodburn <jonathan@woodburn.cc> wrote:
    > Admittedly, Chinese is a huge character set, however, the font is still
    > aimed at a low memory footprint.

    What's a low memory footprint for you? You can fit about any
    Latin-Greek-Cyrillic font on the market in a fraction of the space of
    a small Chinese font. The question is why it's worth stressing about a
    minimal fragment of the Latin characters, especially as even if you're
    just doing English, someone is going to mention Dvořák or the like at
    some point.

    > However, I'm getting the impression that
    > perhaps my understanding of Unicode is misinformed (or simply uninformed).
    > Is every character not found in a common table for every language (i.e.
    > Latin characters + foreign language accents + Cyrillic + chinese, etc...)?

    That's one way to describe it.

    > If this is
    > an exhaustive list, it will be a little tedious to read the HTML Source, but
    > will certainly work. :)

    It's not an exhaustive list; note that it doesn't include ô, ö, or é
    in the English column. Even if you dismiss rôle and coöperate as
    archaic, café is still fairly common.

    > 1. Are all characters for every language found in a single Unicode
    > definition so that U+XXXX can express any character?

    Yes and no. You need to support combining characters for some
    languages, though none of the languages you're looking at.

    > 2. Would it be necessary to create individual fonts for particular
    > (non-coexisting) languages?

    Again, yes and no. Your languages are fine, but fine typography will
    set the accent in Polish and French differently, and Russian and
    Serbian italics use a different form for one of the letters, etc.