Re: open source CJK ext A, B fonts

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 21:03:30 CDT

    Quoting Ed Trager <ed.trager@gmail.com>:

    > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:09 AM, <vunzndi@vfemail.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> Dear Jeroen
    >>
    >> Assuming you mean ttf fonts, this is not an easy question to answer. There
    >> is yet to be such a open source font with good coverage.
    >>
    >> The most opensource cjk fonts are ukai.ttf and uming.ttf see
    >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/CJKUnifonts .
    >>
    >> uming.ttf has some Ext A support and Extension B support, and
    >> hopefully in the not too distant future (sometime in 2008 or 2009)
    >> will have full ExtA support. This is IMHO the best option if one is
    >> looking for a open source CJK project to build from. A verion of the latest
    >> build is at
    >> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/t/ttf-arphic-uming/ttf-arphic-uming_0.2.20080216.1.orig.tar.gz
    >>
    >> I have been using this myself as the base, with lots of PUA cjk characters.
    >>

    >> The wenquan project http://wqy.sourceforge.net now has Ext A support,
    >> and is working on Ext B - the font is open source, however parts of the
    >> project though not are not strictly speaking open source.
    >>
    >> If one is just looking for a free font the biggest coverage is Hannom
    >> A nad B - which though free to download on sourceforge is not open source.
    >>
    >> Also James Kass shareware Code200, http://www.code2000.net , has
    >> complete Ext A, and Code2002 has fairly extenive Extension B coverage.
    >
    > Unfortunately the Code2000 CJK glyph forms are (IMO) not as
    > aesthetically pleasing as in other fonts.

    The code2000/code2002 glyphs have the same style as the wenquan font
    above - this style, sometimes called heiti, is used primarily designed
    for computer display purposes.

    The ming/song style of uming.ttf, Han Nom is primarily designed for printing.

    Whatever the style the range of fonts available for CJK characters is
    very limited and there is certainly a need for more to be available.