Re: Differences between Unicode and ISO 10646 regarding canonical equivalence and deprecation

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 12:48:30 CDT

    On 9/16/2008 1:35 AM, Karl Pentzlin wrote:
    > Searching the ISO/IEC 10646:2003 documents (as found on
    > http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html )
    > for "canonical", "equivalence", "deprecat" does not yield anything
    > regarded to the Unicode concepts of "canonical equivalence" and
    > "deprecation".
    > Thus, any standard which refers to ISO/IEC 10646 neither can nor needs
    > to reference to these Unicode character properties, as long as it does
    > not formally reference explicitly to Unicode also.
    >
    > Is this conclusion correct?

    Karl,

    I think your conclusion may be based on incomplete or outdated information.

    First, as you know, 10646 is undergoing ongoing work via amendments. The
    2003
    edition therefore does not really reflect the latest state of the
    standard. Looking at
    the amendments is particularly valuable when you have to make decisions that
    are intended to work in the future.

    Further, 10646 includes a normative reference to UAX#15 Normalization, and
    clause 21 specifies the normalization forms defined in UAX#15, which
    therefore
    are normative provisions of 10646, as are the concepts used in UAX#15 to
    define them in detail.

    While the text of 10646 does not discuss the ramifications of canonical
    equivalence,
    it would be a mistake to pretend that they don't exist.

    A./