Re: Character list for European and Canadian use in the revised keyboard standard ISO/IEC 9995-3, supplementing MES-1

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 11:08:21 CDT

    On 9/17/2008 5:55 PM, Leo Broukhis wrote:
    > 2008/9/17 Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de>:
    >
    >> Elementary mathematical symbols:
    >>

    >> U+2264 LESS-THAN OR EQUAL TO - no own key needed, enter as:
    >> diacritical mark "combining macron below" + "less-than sign"
    >> U+2265 GREATER-THAN OR EQUAL TO - no own key needed, enter as:
    >> diacritical mark "combining macron below" + "greater-than sign"
    >>

    > In some countries,
    > U+2A7D LESS-THAN OR SLANTED EQUAL TO and
    > U+2A7E GREATER-THAN OR SLANTED EQUAL TO are used instead.
    > If nothing else, using "combining macron below" for both is counterintuitive.

    (I tend to doubt that the difference between slanted and non-slanted use
    in the example here is a true "local convention" - at least I've not
    seen hard evidence to that effect, would be interesting to get some, if
    it existed).

    More importantly, this kind of thing is something that doesn't belong in
    a keyboard. What's needed is another layer of software that is akin to a
    (much simplified version of an) Asian Input Method Editor. Such an IME
    will take multiple keystrokes and compose them into the correct symbol.
    Software that makes use of mathematical symbols often will support key
    sequences for such symbols. For example, my favorite programming editor
    will assemble <= or >= into the correct symbols.

    A well designed specification for a mini-IME would make allow such
    things to be more standardized from a typist point of view, without
    forcing this into the keyboard, where it's difficult to customize. IMEs
    have the advantage that they can also take into account context, both
    the preceding text, as well as longer-term history, as well as stylistic
    options.

    A./