Re: Character list for European and Canadian use in the revised keyboard standard ISO/IEC 9995-3, supplementing MES-1

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 17:58:56 CDT

    Am Donnerstag, 18. September 2008 um 21:44 schrieb Kent Karlsson:

    KK> But using altgr-'<' and altgr-'>' to generate suitable less-or-equal
    KK> and greater-or-equal characters would not at all be arcane IMO.

    Unfortunately, ISO/IEC 9995-3 cannot accommodate this, as it cannot
    assume '<' and '>' on a specific keyboard position, while it uses a
    position-oriented model for populating the common secondary group.

    KK> I think less-or-equal/greater-or-equal ... are ... Much more
    KK> important on a keyboard than odd characters like AKTIESELSKAB and
    KK> TIRONIAN SIGN ET...

    The problem is how to determine importancy. The Sami characters are
    important only for fewer than 0,1% of the European population, but
    are included as everybody who uses the Latin script in Europe should
    be served without restrictions.
    Likewise, the TIRONIAN SIGN ET, while being odd for most Europeans,
    is really used in Ireland.
    Also, if you want to extend the principle that everybody should be
    able to type their names correctly to companies, the AKTIESELSKAB is
    necessary for a lot of Norwegians.
    This, of course, does not reduce the importancy of commonly used
    characters like less-or-equal/greater-or-equal in any way. Thus,
    at last, compromises have to be made.

    - Karl Pentzlin