Re: Olympic Rings Symbol?

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2008 - 12:34:16 CDT

    On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:
    >> While perusing
    >> http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3514.pdf (Soccer Ball symbol
    >> proposal) I've noticed that on Fig. 4c (page 3) there is an Olympic
    >> rings symbol in the same context as the proposed - and accepted by the
    >> UTC - soccer ball symbol, making it at least as suitable for encoding,
    >> if not more, given its international recognition and appeal.
    >
    > The Nike "swoosh" and Coca-Cola logos might have even greater international
    > recognition and appeal.

    They are not (yet?) used in contexts that would prompt their
    consideration for encoding.

    > Historically the Unicode Standard has had a policy against logos of this
    > sort, Christian crosses and Stars of David notwithstanding. Commitment to
    > the policy has become less clear in recent years (IMHO) with entities like a
    > flag representing "Japanese self-defense forces" being accepted as part of
    > the ARIB Japanese TV symbols proposal (which also includes several traffic
    > signs, once a canonical example of what would *not* be encoded).

    Well, "the addition of these new characters should be seen as the
    start of a new initiative to add more symbols in the standard". One
    can claim that the characters resembling traffic signs are rather
    traffic report symbols or ideograms for maps, tourist guides, etc.,
    making them somewhat more suitable and useful; the right-hand side
    driving counterparts of U+26D5-26D9 should be encoded as well, then.
    The 26FF (JSDF flag) is named generically and can be used generically
    as a "distinctive flag"; to me more surprising is the canonical name
    of U+26F3 containing "Japanese".

    > However, it certainly seems likely that encoding the Olympic Rings symbol as
    > a character without the involvement of the IOC would be a huge mistake.

    Maybe someone should ask them.

    Leo