RE: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531)

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 16:43:41 CST

    Michael Everson wrote:
    > I think you should look at the Old Italic proposal and
    > discussion, Kent.

    I know. That is why there is a loophole, but only a loophole,
    in the bidi algorithm. It covers (badly) Old Italic, which is
    encoded as LTR, when overriden as RTL to (sometimes, only
    sometimes, using some as yet unheard of higher-level-protocol
    mechanism; I can imagine them, just haven't seen any) produce
    mirrored glyphs for the Old Italic letters.

    It does NOT cover the RTL case, as I wrote. There is not
    even a loophole (which I think is a bad approach anyway) in
    the bidi algorithm that would cover Old Hungarian as RTL
    overridden as LTR to even sometimes produce mirrored glyphs.

    I think you should take a look at the bidi algorithm's details
    on mirroring...

            /kent k