Re: What to call it (was: Re: Boustrophedon (was: Re: Question...))

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 02:56:15 CST

    >> 2. The word "old," particularly in reference to the world's writing
    >> systems, is not negative or derogatory in English.
    >
    > I agree with you. I never stated that this is negative or derogatory.
    >
    > However, the name of a script is not unimportant, especially if a certain
    > name is not accurate or not specific for a given script.

    Actually, the name "Old Hungarian" _is_ accurate and specific for the
    given script. There is no other script that has been called that way
    ever before.

    Mediaeval and Renaissance types of handwriting of Latin (Carolinguian
    minuscle, blackletters, bastardas, humanist cursives, etc.) have never
    been called "old Hungarian". (also they were not specific Hungarian).

    /Sz