RE: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531)

From: Ruszlan Gaszanov (ruszlan@ather.net)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 06:19:24 CST

    I grew up in Hungary and I've never seen any contemporary use of rovásírás. The scholars, as far as I know, prefer LTR directionality. But than again, my information is only based on my personal experience which might be limited and somewhat outdated.

    In any case, as I mentioned earlier, the problem of glyph mirroring when inversing default text direction does not only concern rovásírás and Old Italic, but a number Phoenician-derived scripts (with both LTR and RTL default directionality), so I think the bi-di algorithm needs to be seriously revised to accommodate for this.

    Ruszlán