Re: What to call it (was: Re: Boustrophedon (was: Re: Question...))

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2008 - 12:09:51 CST

    Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

    > I believe Doug's intention was to suggest that you accept "Old
    > Hungarian" as the name for the script. (Doug, please confirm or deny
    > this.)

    I guess that's what I meant, indirectly. What I was trying to get at
    was that a large amount of effort is being wasted fighting over the name
    "Old Hungarian" when that effort could be used to resolve other
    differences between the proposals, and get this script encoded in
    Unicode, which I think is a goal shared by everyone.

    I personally don't see what negative impact the name "Old Hungarian"
    could possibly have on the proposed encoding. I doubt there are many
    users of "Unified Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics" who actually call it by
    that unwieldy name, except in a Unicode-specific context. But the
    script is encoded, and usable in computer systems worldwide (except that
    font coverage is a bit sparse, which will be true for OH as well), and
    that should be most important.

    So yes, I do suggest that Gábor and everyone else accept the name "Old
    Hungarian" for Unicode purposes, even if their personal preference is to
    call it something else, and not let this (frankly) petty dispute get in
    the way of encoding the script. It's a great script, with interesting
    features, and it's been waiting to be encoded for over 10 years now.

    http://www.ewellic.org