Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 11:21:16 CST

    On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
    > Too bad if you really need those characters. But encoding new letters with
    > diacritics as code points wouldn't help. Even if it were possible to add
    > them into Unicode, it would take many many years before they have been added
    > there and implemented widely in fonts that are available on people's
    > computers.

    I don't believe that. I'm seeing Latin Extended C on Alanwood's page
    just fine, and it would be trivial to ask people who want to see those
    characters to add one of several that support it. How many characters
    that would have been encoded in Unicode 5.0 if it hadn't been for that
    rule have several fonts that well-support them?