Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 19:58:14 CST

    Quoting "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>:

    >> make what's
    >
    > John Knightley replied:
    >
    >> > Which of course begs the question where such guidance should be kept .
    >
    > And Andrew West responded:
    >
    >> <http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamedSequences.txt>
    >
    > To which my comment is assuredly not. Unicode named sequences
    > are not nor have they ever been intended to serve as
    > guidance for font developers about what glyphs should or should
    > not be supported for fonts.

    Yes I agree that this is not what this is intended for. However there
    would be considerable advantages in having a list of "standard"
    sequences as a benchmark and as guidance. Saying the components are in
    unicode is a long way for saying it is possible to type or display a
    character.

    In many respects the request for a precomposed letter is a request for
    recognition that a sequence is used. Whilst maybe not ISO 10646, being
    in some standard would be logical.

    John K