Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Bob_Hallissy@sil.org
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 22:47:07 CST

    > If I need a multi-character letter “s with acute”, I
    > have to choose between 015B and 0073+0301.

    If you are talking about designing a specific text process, then yes you
    have a choice, with two caveats:

    1) Your choice doesn't change the *meaning* of the text -- neither is a
    more or less correct encoding of the textual element you are trying to
    represent.

    2) Don't expect your data to necessarily stay in the same form for the
    rest of its life (i.e., as it passes through other text processes)

    Here is a page that may be helpful: http://scripts.sil.org/NFC_vs_NFD

    Regards,

    Bob