Re: Bopomofo with diacritics

From: Gerrit Sangel (z0idberg@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 06:42:27 CST

    Hello Ed,

    Am Donnerstag 20 November 2008 schrieben Sie:

    > Yes, it would be nice to have a Chinese font with the tone marks in a
    > Chinese style.
    > Have you looked at AR PL UMing / UKai fonts? :
    >
    > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/CJKUnifonts/Download
    >
    > I don't know what they have in there for spacing/non-spacing tone
    > marks ... but probably worth investigating.

    Yes, I regularly use those fonts. The spacing tone marks are quite ok, but
    they don’t have non-spacing-marks, or at least it looks ugly (the tone marks
    collide with the base characters)

    > I don't know if it will really help you or not, but Dr. Hann-Tzong
    > Wang (王漢宗教授) released a number of traditional Chinese fonts to the
    > open source community under the GPL and available at
    > cle.linux.org.tw/fonts/wangfonts/. The interesting part is that there
    > are a couple of fonts which have zhuyin phonetics printed vertically
    > right next to the hanzi glyphs.
    >
    > Here's a sample of one of the fonts, 王漢宗中楷體注音:
    > http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/NewUnifontDesign2/images/HWKaiMediumChu
    >In.png
    >
    > So if you could use one of those fonts, it solves a lot of your
    > problems. But the zhuyin is only for standard pronounciation. Doesn't
    > work for archaic pronounciation -- I think even my sample image from
    > the Thousand Character Classic has some "mispronounced" characters in
    > it ...

    Yep, I also got them. This is quite ok, but first, I don’t know how to deal
    with different readings, e.g. ㄏㄨㄟˋ and ㄎㄨㄞˋ for 會, and second, I can’t get
    the reading on its own (for example, the cells of my vocabulary lists are:
    Chinese – Reading – German).

    But thanks nonetheless!

    Gerrit Sangel