Re: HKSCS supplementary examples

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 05:52:59 CST

tex wrote:

> Hi Chris, et al.
>
> GB18030 is a good rationale, but although it is a Chinese legal requirement,
> it isn't enforced except perhaps against the largest companies. So for some
> it represents a risk, but not an immediate priority.

Perhaps not immediate, but I'd suggest to these people that it might be
a hell of a lot cheaper to start working on supporting GB18030 now than
it could be to fix their applications in a big hurry when China decides
it is time to enforce the requirement.

Unicode is 20+ years old and non-BMP characters must have been around
for about 10 years by now ~ While operating system support is now
pretty good, it is frustrating how feeble (or non-existent) the support
still is for complex scripts and for non-BMP characters in many
applications.

- Chris