Re: copyleft, math, religious symbols

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2008 - 11:55:57 CST

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 8:01 AM, David Melik <dchmelik@.com> wrote:
> Years ago a copyleft symbol was requested with evidence it would be used. I
> would use it too. I consider copyright generally immoral; I avoid anything
> biased towards it.

Whether or not you would use it, Unicode is going to require examples
of use in text.

> Logicians and mathematicians use backwards epsilon--omitted in unicode.

It's probably a good character, if it isn't in there somewhere.

> If
> sets of instructions are more than 255 now, letters G - U hexadecimal-style
> may be useful.

There's no special A-F characters for hexadecimal, so there won't be G-U.

> Most/all monotheisms, but few other theisms, have unicode symbols. Most
> such symbols were at about.com:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20071012203635/altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/blsymbols.htm
> , and many of those do not vary too much that they could go in unicode, but
> the site does not have all: the Pythagorean number symbols in addition to 1
> (which is also the 'sun' symbol) might be good to add--and similarly, some
> polygons with more than 4 to 6 sides.

The evidence of use in text is necessary. There's lots of random
symbols, but most of them don't need encoding in Unicode.