Masonic symbols (was: Re: copyleft, math, religious symbols)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 16:36:45 CST

> For a number of weeks I have been looking for Masonic symbols. Are most
> of them already registerd in Unicode?

The Unicode Standard doesn't "register" symbols -- it encodes
characters. But...

> If so, are they mostly scattered
> or mostly contained in a block?

Well,

U+2629 CROSS OF JERUSALEM
U+271D LATIN CROSS
U+2720 MALTESE CROSS
U+2721 STAR OF DAVID

all figure in Masonic symbology.

But I'm guessing you might be referring to the calipers
and square (with or without a "G" or an Egyptian eye, with
or without solar rays, etc.), often seen in association
with Masons. Or the three links in a chain (with or without
an eye). Or just the eye itself. Nothing like that is
encoded in Unicode as Masonic symbols.
Although I suppose now that Egyptian hieroglyphics are
encoded, U+1307B EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH D006 (the eye with
an eyebrow over it) might count, in a way.

And in general, this kind of stuff:

http://www.setmasons.org/images/page2.jpg
http://www.setmasons.org/images/page3.jpg
http://www.setmasons.org/images/page4.jpg

doesn't really constitute candidates for encoding as characters.

--Ken