Copyleft symbol (was: Re: unicode Digest V9 #218)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 00:45:03 CST

David Melik <dchmelik at dot com> wrote:

> I type a backwards 'c' on my art.

I use letters from my constructed alphabet on my Web site, but they're
not considered candidates for encoding in Unicode.

The battle over reversed © was already fought on this list, in 2004.
The symbol is intended to denote a particular application of copyright
in which specific terms of distribution are added. It is used much more
commonly on hats, T-shirts, and stickers to voice an opinion about
intellectual property rights than it is on actual works to signify the
IPR of the works. (Indeed, the GNU page on copyleft carries the
standard © symbol.)

The symbol was considered inappropriate for encoding in 2004, and I
suspect it would be the same today. <ot>On the other hand, if you can
find a colored, animated version that is used on Japanese cell phones,
that may improve the case for encoding.</ot>

http://www.ewellic.org